Monday, December 14, 2009

I Enjoy Long Walks on the Beach...


I seem to be blogging a lot lately, which I suppose is good-I'm making up for those 9 months of silence from me. It's also because I'm grounded from pretty much everything else...yeah. I deserve it but it's still not fun, and I'm just digging myself in a deeper pit of despair these days. Who knows when I'll be let out of this gilded cage? But that's a whole other story. My blog posts seem to be all serious, but that's no surprise since it seems the only things I can write are serious. Tonights little slice of my brain will be on one of my favorite things to do-take walks. I love to go on walks, especially at night. I know, you're probably all thinking, "Are you serious? What about the creepers that come out at night? And you can't see the ice, what if you fall?" Trust me, I've thought about all those things, and more. Even those things can't stop me from walking at my favorite time of day. Walking at any time of day is really pleasurable to me, but I especially enjoy nighttime, and here's why:
Picture a sky so dark you can't tell exactly what color it is in the center, that lightens up to a faded shade of blue on the edges. It's full of stars, thousands, millions of them, too many to count! If I could paint like Jill or Grandma Allen, I would paint that sky, although I'm not sure I could capture the thousands of different shades I can see as I tilt my head upwards and gaze into the dark abyss. It's so beautiful I can't help but feel sorry for those who live in the city, unable to see the sparkling lights above them because of the blaring ones that engulf them, that swallow them whole. There is a steady rhythm of cars as they pass by on the nearby main roads, but otherwise there is silence. The still, peaceful sound of this part of the world going to sleep is refreshing after a day of social pressures and demands. It helps me forget about my internal sadness, my failure to do everything right, my inability to be the perfect 'only child'. It lets me escape into my own thoughts, my own memories, without forcing me to cope with the reality sitting in a nice house two blocks away from where my feet have taken me. There is no pressure, no expectations, no strained relationships. I love it. This dark, protective, peaceful, night.

p.s. sorry the picture is so small!

3 comments:

kelsey. said...

Oh my goodness! I can't even tell you how much your posts make my day! Read Marissa's blog for an instant day brightening! Ha ha :)

Jill said...

I love walks too...you can paint...next time I'm around...let's paint!

Alyson said...

I hadn't realized you'd been posting blogs so it was nice to read your blog and get a glimpse into your thoughts. Does reading do the same thing for you as walking?