Saturday, December 5, 2009

New Beginnings

"Every day is a fresh beginning, Every morn is the world made new"
-Sarah Chauncey Woolsey

My brother told me I had to write a blog entry by Christmas, so here it is! If you've read my blog before you can probably tell I've made a few changes. I think my original blogging attempt pretty much failed so I'm starting all over again! Before I was too worried about making myself sound really smart or cool or mature, but then I realized, I'm a teenager! Hellooooo! I shouldn't be trying to make myself sound like a college student or someone like that.
This time around, I am going to share crazy teenage things, complain about my life, and go off about things I don't like. If you don't like that, don't read my blog! Here is my true teenage spirit unveiled:

I like being alone. Is that normal for a teen? I don't know. Yet I find myself counting down the minutes until my parents leave me at home by myself. If I don't get some time to just clear my head and think in the week then I go insane! Sometimes it gets so hectic inside my house that I just have to go take a walk for an hour or so. My favorite time of day is night, when everyone is asleep. I get to just sit there and do what I want, uninterrupted. There are no parents breathing down my neck right then, no responsibilities, no pretending. I can do what I want, say what I want, think what I want, wear what I want--whatever I want with no expectations. You probably think I'm some self-centered chick who has no life. I probably am a bit self-centered, but isn't that how everyone is at age 14? And it's hard for me personally because I'm practically like an only child, so my parents are focusing all their attention on ME. They seem to expect so much out of me and sometimes I fall short of those expectations. And since I'm the only one at home, when I fall short I seem to fall a lot farther than everyone else. That's partially why I like being alone so much, so I don't have to deal with those pressures. Another reason is because I love the quiet and the still that comes with knowing you're the only one around. The sounds of nature, usually unnoticed, that fill up that space. The sound of crickets chirping in the summer, the pounding of rain on the roof in the spring. It makes me feel more at peace with the world.

Well, that was my two cents worth for a while. And now Tadd can't nag me about blogging anymore ;)

7 comments:

Lee said...

Lee calls Marissa's new blog, "Honest. Natural. Refreshing. A must read for anyone who likes to be alone or is a teenager. Like a warm blanket on a cold night." I liked it! Keep 'em coming.

Jill said...

I liked it too. I like to alone too... but it is funny...I also like to be with my family more than anything. You are a great writer. I'm stayin' tuned!

Josie said...

Woohoo...a blog from Marissa...way to be honest...we need to find something else for your parent's attention...maybe a high performance gold fish could take the pressure off! Love ya girl!

Jimmy, James, Jim said...

It's good to hear from you Marissa. Thanks for sharing. I love you!

Tadd said...

I'm proud of you! You are the new spokesperson for teenagers world wide! It was good to see your name at the top of my blog roll. Keep the blogs coming! I'm looking forward to reading! I love you!

kelsey. said...

I get it. Really. I understand that completely. Difference between being by yourself and isolation, aye?

Ethan said...

This was great :)

I like being alone too. It's a time to collect your thoughts and stuff.